The family and medical leave act requires employers to offer employees emergency leave in case of sickness and reinstate them under certain conditions. The unpaid leave is offered to employers so that they can seek medical attention.
Federal FMLA Rights
If you suffer from serious health complications, you can take up to 12 weeks of sick leave so that you can seek medication. The leave is also allowed for you to bond with a child in case of childbirth.
Who Is Covered?
If you are an employer in California and you have at least 50 employees, then you should comply with the law. For the law to apply, you should have at least the employees working in your company for the last 20 weeks. Other qualifications for the leave include the following conditions:
- You should have word for the same company for at least a year
- The employee should have worked in the company for more than 1,250 in the previous year to qualify for the leave.
- Employees should work in a company situated in a location where employees come from a location which is not more than 75 miles of radius.
Reasons for Leave Under FMLA
You can ask for leave if you have the following conditions:
- You can seek emergency leave for you to bond with your new child
- If you had a serious health complication, you could seek the leave for you to recuperate.
- For those with family members with serious health complications, they can seek the leave to take care of the family member.
- To handle qualifying exigencies due to a family members military service
- To care for a family member who suffered from a serious incident in the military.
How Much Leave Is Available?
An employee can take up to 12 weeks of sick leave and up to a year of leave in case of a serious health complication. The leave can renew after each year provided the employee meets the set requirements.
Leave and Reinstatement Rights
If your leave ends, you are entitled to be reinstated to the same position where you were serving. The sick leave is not paid; hence you should continue contributing to your health insurance.
California Military Family Leave
Employees who have more than 25 employees are required to give up to 10 days of unpaid leave if a spouse arrives home from military deployment.
California Pregnancy Disability Leave
Employers who have more than 5 employees are required to give reasonable time for employees to bond with their children and recuperate from disability relating to pregnancy.